Thursday, July 5, 2007

Who I am

I also thought that I would share with you a little about me.

I am 45yr old. I live in Northeast Ohio (winter sucks!), I am married to Jodi and have two children.............Samantha 17 and TJ 16. And my old dog Shasta a black lab about 10 now.

I am a Registered Nurse. My background is ER/Trauma and Critical Care. I am currently a Nursing Supervisor. In this position we run the hospital during our shift. Since we are a small rural community hospital we do not have doctors in the hospital 24hrs a day, except for the ER. The fun part is that we run the code blue teams until the ER doctor gets there. Even when the OB dept gets busy they call us and we get to go to the nursery and sit with the babies, feed them and change them until the nurses get caught up. We do a little bit of everything. I love where I work and love what I do. Oh yeah and I alos have a small business where I teach CPR & First Aid and am doing the on-line Nursing degree (BSN) through the University of Wyoming. I am a Cowboy!!!!!!

One of the hardest terms I have to use when writing a patients assesment is using the term "obese". I am by the clinical standard defined as morbidly obese. I stand 6ft 4in and and over 400lbs. I was recently told by my family MD that I am a diabetic type 2. Time to fucking wake up!!!!!!!

I stopped growing when I was 12. Yes, at 12yrs old I was 6ft 4in. Both of my parents stood not taller than 5ft 8in. I was always the biggest but not heavy. When I completed Air Force Boot Camp (was a crash-fire rescue) I was 230lbs. But all muscle (easy girls). It wasn't until my adult years that I started to pack it on. Working the nightshift I think was my down fall. Lousy eatting patterns, lousy sleep patterns, to tired to do anything. Also being a nurse you never really get any time to eat so you either order out, eat from the vending machines or don't eat and then stop by fast food drive thru and binge out on late night Taco Bell (the fourth meal...yeah right). So, the next thing you know I became know as either "Big Steve" or "big guy".

The day that I decided to make a change was about 6-7 weeks ago. I was at one end of the hospital and then overhead you hear the speakers "CODE BLUE ROOM 3 something (on the 3rd floor). a patient was found unresponsive and required immediate attention so I sprang...no not really sprang but started moving, I was into a good jog, when I get to the other end of the hospital I thoughth I would be smart and use the surgery elevators and take then to the 3rd floor because they are always there right???????????? WRONG!!!!!!!! They were in use. F@#K! I have to use the stairs. So up the steps I go. I make it to the 3rd floor and get to the room, I shock the patient all the time huffing and puffing. I have beads of sweat all over my forehead. We get the patient turned around and settle them in and a LPN and I walk out to the nurses station to call the patients MD and tell them the events that took place when the LPN turns to me and says" I thought we were going to have to code you". "Mr.Steve this is your inner voice and this is your wake up call................get yourself together dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never planned on being this big, but it happened. So, here I am blogging in cyberspace my adventures as I take on a journey of becoming healthy and fit. My goal is to become a Clydesdale and complete (key word....complete a trialthon in 2008). Right now I call myself a Super Clydesdale. My first event is this Sept 9/15/07 the Race for a Cure in Cleveland, Ohio a 5k.

I have enjoyed reading everyones blogging and would also like to thank each and everyone for your suggestions and kind words of encouragement.

Stay tuned and be on the lookout in Northeast Ohio for this Super Clydesdale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

bigmike600 said...

Great story. You have finally figured out the key to fitness. YOU have to WANT it. Us bloggers will be with you every step of the way so keep posting and we will help hold you accountable. Good Luck and with your determination, you won't be a super clydesdale for long, but either a regular one or maybe even an age grouper (under 200 pounds)

Unknown said...

We nurses are our own worst enenmy sometimes. Do as I say, not as I do was almost my motto - I was a pudgy, sedentary smoker working on a rehab unit telling people to exercise.
It's funny how those A-HA moments stick with you, I remember mine- and I have a picture of it.
BTW- I am finishing up my own online BSN from Ball State in the next couple weeks.

Shump said...

Thanks for the encourgment.

My weight loss plan was a medically supervised diet that a local hospital administered, and was very similar to how Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee lost all his weight. You can find out a lot about it at www.hmrprogram.com

I like it and they emphasize fruits and vegetables and exercise. It works for me, but I believe most plans can work if you follow them.

Keep up the good work!

LisaDuvall said...

I just found your blog tonight and wanted to congratulate you on your success so far and cheer you on! From one buckeye to another - best of luck!